Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Suckered In

If you're a fan on Flatfoot 56, Flogging Molly, or any other band that mixes punk with Celtic folk, just add some more patriotic themes and lyrics, and you have "Suckered In". Hailing from Central PA, the front man, Chowder, puts everything on the line for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!
Photobucket
1.What's your name, age, and what do you do for a living?
My name is Chris, a.k.a. Chowder, I will be 25 on June 8, 2010, and I currently work in the kitchen at a local coffee shop here in Central PA.

2.What are your hobbies other than making music for "Suckered In"?
I also enjoy running, studying history, going to see other bands live, and traveling when I can.

3.The 2 videos you have made for "Suckered In" are just of you playing. Are there any other members to the band?
Well, there have been a couple of temporary members that have come and gone since I started doing this back in 2007, but yes, the other member of the band is my good friend Raygun, who plays guitar and does backing vocals.

4.The sound of "Suckered In" is in my opinion a mix of Celtic, folk, and patriotic Oi!. Why not just make a straight Oi! band, or straight folk band?
Well first of all, you would be correct in your assessment of what I'm shooting for, also adding some Classic Rock to the mix as well. And why not simply create one or the other? Well because, to me at least, Oi! is, at its root, a conservative form of folk music...kind of the antithesis to the whole "peace and love" thing, you know? That's not to say that Oi! is always violent or ignorant or something...but it IS hard and assertive. I had this idea kicking around in my head in a simpler form for awhile, but I really came across it more readily on the Music Ruined My Life Blog. I was reading a post about Frankie Flame, before he formed Superyob and was still with the Flames, and the blog mentioned Oi! being like folk music...and then compared it to Pete Seeger killing Bob Dylan at Newport in 1965 or some really good comparison like that...and it just got me thinking. And I think that's what draws me to putting the Folk and Oi! genres into one project...I'm trying to create extremely simple, passionate music that doesn't back down and let's you know exactly how it feels about things.

5.Is there an official release in the works for "Suckered In"?
Yes there is. We are currently practicing and will soon be going into the studio to record our first EP. It will contain 6 songs, 5 originals and 1 cover, and I hope to have found a record label and distributor by the end of the summer. I will have more information as it becomes available, so watch the MySpace page.

6.Are there any other bands you're playing in? Or band you've played in from the past?
I am not currently playing in any other bands, no. I don't really count the few short-lived bands I was in in high school, but I was in one other band when I used to live in FL called The Devil's Right Hand, which was no relation to the IN street rock band of the same name. Anyway, we were pretty bad, and we only lasted for 6 months or so. However, we did get to play with Hudson Falcons one time, and I can't say I didn't have a good time haha.

7.Most of the world looks at the people of America as money hungry, warmongering, fat, capitalist. With having such a patriotic theme, can you express your thought on this subject?
Do I think this country is perfect? No. Like any other place it could use some improvement. However, I don't take kindly to the place where I was born and raised being insulted either. Money hungry? Well that seems to me to be endemic to the entire culture in the sense of teens wanting to be billionaires or scummy people like Amy Winehouse or Paris Hilton. Warmongering? I don't see it as warmongering to go after the people that hurt our country on 9/11 no, but I do think that keeping the war going in Iraq is pointless if we are still trying to locate Bin Laden. Fat? Hell I'm a tubby guy...so I guess that one's true haha. Capitalist? We're a capitalist country...so I guess that one's true too.

8.What are your thoughts on President Obama?
Honestly? At this point I've become somewhat apathetic to Mr. Obama. I think both Obama and Bush were crap pretty much. Neither of them are doing or did what they promised to do. If Obama wants to create jobs, I'm all for that, as I feel that Americans need a way to support themselves. However, he hasn't really done that as of yet. I also don't see how continuing the war in Iraq is getting us anywhere, and I feel that pumping more money into an already inflated economy is in many ways a death sentence. Additionally, I don't like how race has become the central focus of this man's presidency. His race doesn't make him special or iconic...his ACTIONS do.

9.What do you think about the new law pasted in Arizona, giving cops the right to pull over anyone they please based on ethnic decent, to prevent illegal immigration?
I don't have any problems with it really. As a country, we aren't barring anyone from applying for citizenship, but they must go through the proper naturalization channels, much as our ancestors did. Granted those channels are more complex now than 100 years ago, but there is still a system. If you come into this country illegally, you are breaking our laws. Therefore, off you go back to your own country. No one needs to be hurt, but this DOES mean that breaking the law isn't tolerated.

10.What are you thoughts on legalizing marijuana?
Again, I see no problem with it. Here you have a plant that gives many people relief from their anxieties, treats the pain of cancer patients, and actually helps with medical conditions like glaucoma. Additionally, I just simply don't see any problems with people wanting to feel good by that method if they so choose. Alcohol is legal and can kill you if you overuse it, and yet we allow millions of people every year in this country slowly kill themselves with it. Why single marijuana out? There is a paranoia in the conservative community that if this stuff is legalized there will be some sort of an economic and social apolcalypse, that people will simply stop showing up for work, stop caring for their families, and that the fabric of our way of life will break down. I am a conservative and I'm here to say that that is simply nonsense. Come on people...do your research.

11.What drove you to the Skinhead Oi! scene?
Well I was a punk kid for most of my early teen years...but by the time I was 16 or 17 my attitudes and opinions about life were changing. I didn't find any meaning in the punk lyrics...and to me all the talk about anarchy and smashing society seemed unproductive and bland. I was attracted to Skinhead as a fashion because I loved the clean cut look and the orderliness of the dress and neatness of the style. Musically, I was more attracted to the gruffer, more deliberate vocals of Oi!...as well as the sound which I describe as both hard-hitting and melodic at the same time.

12.What do you think about the American Skinhead scene? Good? Bad? Do you think other countries have a better scenes?
I have to say that my overall opinion of the American Skinhead scene has become less positive over the last 5 years or so. I'm not sure what happened, but it seems as though the close-knit, family-and-friends oriented spirit that pervaded the scene prior to this has vanished, in favor of everything under the sun really...from people who call themselves skinheads but know nothing about the music or culture...to hardcore drug addicts, wife beaters and just plain scummy people...to this sort of liberalized "anything goes" policy in terms of morals or lack thereof.''to people who are just plain ignorant, and who use the "working class" label as an excuse to not get education, or to not educate themselves on anything outside of the skinhead subculture. I am by no means saying that all American Skinheads are like this, as I know several who aren't, but it just seems to have been my experience more recently. Also, the rise in politics dominating the scene instead of simple comradeship and fun has made more a lot more headaches than I would care for. As for other countries, I wouldn't say other countries have BETTER scenes, but I really admire the scenes in Germany and especially in England. I lived in London for about 6 months back in 2007, and I got to travel around a bit and hang out with some members of the ICF, as well as meeting people like Gary Hodges from the 4-Skins etc., and I have to say that, even though the scene in England is quite small compared to the 1980's and made up mostly of aging guys and a handful of young skins, that the passion for their subculture, good humor, and respect that they all show each other is something I really wish I saw more in the States these days.

13.What are your thoughts on R.A.C.?
Personally? I love it. I tend to like the more Oi!-sounding side of R.A.C. as opposed to the more hardcore or metal influenced projects, but generally it's a favorite genre for me. I do not agree with the overtly racist or supremacist stances of some of the bands, but I do understand where the anger comes from for sure. I enjoy it more because R.A.C. makes some great points about the social, economic and everyday life challenges of the hard-working people in America and Europe, and their resistance to being controlled by Communist ideals.

14.What are you top 10 favorite bands?
Well that is always a difficult question, but here's the ones that come to mind after thinking about it for a bit. The Ramones, The Pogues, Skrewdriver, The Rolling Stones, U.S. Bombs, Bruce Springsteen, Flatfoot 56, Cockney Rejects, Hudson Falcons, The Jam, Discipline, Agnostic Front. That's a few more than 10, but that's the kind of stuff that I get into.

15.Are there any bands you think didn't get enough credit while they were around?
Badlands from the Netherlands. They and their lead guitarist and singer Viktor Nefkens really brought the concept of fusing acoustic folk songs with Oi! music as far as I can tell, and they were a HUGE influence on me. They sang about pride in your country, about the importance of keeping your traditions alive against rapidly changing times, and about not letting the dangers of political correctness trap your mind when you know the truth. A fantastic band.

16.What are some new or current bands that you have taken a liking to?
In the U.S. I have been liking a lot of the stuff that has been coming out of the Midwest lately. Bands like CL1 and First Offense from OH have really given me something to look forward too. Also, I hate to sound like a kiss ass, but Crucial Change is quite honestly one of few U.S. Oi! bands I've heard in recent years that has something real to say and has the sound, passion and energy to back it up...and "33" is one of my favorite albums right now. There's also a great 3-piece outfit from Northern England called Gimp Fist that I really like as well...so check them out, as well as Booze & Glory, a new London Oi! group. Finally, Flatfoot 56, as always, puts out quality records.

17.You strike me as a guys who like to study history a lot. Who's you favorite historical figure and why?
That too is a tough question. I would say that I greatly admire figures like Andrew Jackson, who so blatantly made an effort to, and eventually destroyed, the Second National Bank of the United States, who at the time had much of the nation's wealth contained in that single institution, and which, as a result concentrated much of the wealth in the hands of the rich. Basically, he didn't let anything stand in his way when he felt something needed to be done for the overall good of the country.

18.Any last words, thanks, or shout outs?
Well I'd like to that you for giving me an open forum in which to speak my mind and promote my music, so thank you. Shout outs? I'd like to give a shout out to all the conservative skins in this country who want to keep our ideals and traditions alive. God and Country. And last words? Oi! Folking Oi!...but also, I would like to point out that, even though I talk about politics and my opinions freely, that Suckered In is in no way solely a political band. I write songs about social issues, what I see in the world, love, death, history, and life in general, but nothing that is expressly political. My goal is to make simple music with a strong, passionate message free from any political slanting of any kind. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment